Supermarine Spitfire Mk 1 K9942 was built at Eastleigh as one of the first production batch of 174 aircraft. She entered service with 72 Squadron RAF, on April 24 1939. In early 1940, while stationed at Gravesend, the aircraft was damaged beyond local repair on landing and subsequently taken out of active service.
Eventually ending-up at the RAF Museum at Hendon in 1971, the aircraft was displayed as the oldest Spitfire Mk1 , despite having been modified over the years to a MkV.
In 1998 she moved to Rochester, where Medway Aircraft Preservation Society took on the task of ‘deconversion’ back to a Mk1 and overall restoration. This was completed and the aircraft was handed-back to the RAF museum in October 2000.
These are the late Ron Neudegg’s photos of Spitfire K9942 and the handing-over ceremony.